Erieville is a hamlet in the south part of the town of Nelson. It is south of Tuscarora Lake. Erieville is a town that has been absorbed into the town of Nelson. The town was named after Horatio Nelson, the English naval hero.
The town was formed in 1807 from the Town of Cazenovia, the year after Madison County was established. There’s a lot of town switching and reoganization in upstate New York.
The Nelson Welsh Congregational Church was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1993.
Madison County is part of the Syracuse, NY Metropolitan Statistical Area.
- Bucks Corner – A location in the northeast part of the town.
- Eaton Reservoir – Most of the reservoir is in the Town of Nelson by the east town line.
- Erieville – A hamlet in the south part of the town, south of Tuscarora Lake.
- Hughs Corner – A location in the northeast corner of the town.
- Nelson – The hamlet of Nelson is on Route 20 in the northwest part of the town. It was formerly called “Nelson Flats” and “Skunk Hollow.”
- Pughs Corner – A location east of Nelson village.
- Stoney Pond – A pond located north of Eaton Reservoir.
- Tuscarora Lake – A lake in the south part of the town.
Indigenous peoples had occupied areas around Oneida Lake for thousands of years. The historic Oneida Nation is an Iroquoian-speaking people who emerged as a culture in this area about the fourteenth century and dominated the territory. They are one of the Five Nations who originally comprised the Iroquois Confederacy or Haudenosaunee.
English colonists established counties in eastern present-day New York State in 1683; at the time, the territory of the present Madison County was considered part of Albany County, with the city of Albany located on the Hudson River. This was an enormous county, including the northern part of New York State around Albany as well as all of the present State of Vermont and, in theory, extending westward to the Pacific Ocean. It was claimed by the English but largely occupied by the Oneida, Onondaga, Seneca, Cayuga and Mohawk, who had the territory in the central Mohawk Valley, as well as Mahican near the Hudson River. On July 3, 1766 the English organized Cumberland County, and on March 16, 1770 they organized Gloucester County, both containing territory now included in the state of Vermont.